Coming from abroad and want to live in the Netherlands again? In that case, you must register with the municipality within five days of arrival, in person.

You used to live in the Netherlands. You are now moving back to the Netherlands from abroad. This means you need to re-register with the municipality.

Did you move abroad before October 1994? In that case, you do not need to re-register, but complete a ‘first registration’ instead.

Registration must always be done in person, at the service desk of the town hall. For this, you need to make an appointment by telephone (when calling from abroad: +31 591 689 000).  If you move to the Netherlands with your whole family, your partner and children too must register at the desk in person and therefore come with you. 

You will need:

  • your valid ID, showing your nationality (no driving licence); 
  • proof of lawful residence in the Netherlands;
  • for people from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint-Eustatius or Sint-Maarten: a change of address;
  • documentary evidence showing that you, for example, were married, divorced or had children during your stay abroad (if applicable);
  • proof of de-registration from your previous country of residence, if required.

Everyone is obliged to complete a change of address truthfully. If you deliberately fail to provide the correct information, you will receive an administrative fine of up to € 325.

After your arrival in the Netherlands, you have 5 working days to register with the municipality. If you register after these 5 working days, the municipality can impose a fine.

Re-registering is free of charge.

Chat met een medewerker