Klant Contact Centrum van de gemeente Emmen

Civic integration

The Dutch Civic Integration Act states that people who want to come and live in the Netherlands must have an understanding of the Dutch culture and language. That is why it is necessary to complete an integration course. Civic integration is compulsory for people aged 16 to 65.

When to integrate?

You hold a residence permit for a definite or indefinite period of time.
You are a pastor, imam, minister, rabbi, pandit, religious education teacher, philosophy teacher or missionary.

When not to integrate?

  • You are under 18.
  • You are retired.
  • You hold a passport from a country in the European Union or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, or you are related to someone who holds such a passport.
  • You attended school in the Netherlands for 8 years or more before the age of 16.
  • You are physically or mentally impaired.
  • You hold Dutch diplomas or qualifications or can show proof that you are doing or have completed a training course or degree in the Dutch language.
  • You are coming to the Netherlands for study or work temporarily.

Is civic integration mandatory?

Yes, integration is mandatory. This means you need to pass the civic integration exam. If you do not cooperate, you are liable to be fined. It may even affect your residence permit. You do not need to take an exam if exempted.

You need to integrate now or started the process after 1 January 2013
In that case, you need to arrange the integration yourself. For more information, please visit www.inburgeren.nlexterne-link-icoon. Go to the Education Executive Agency (DUO) for information about language lessons, civic integration courses and the civic integration exam.
Next step:

  • Choose an integration course.
  • Register and pay.
  • You may be able to borrow money from DUO.

You started your integration before 1 January 2013

In that case, the Municipality of Emmen helps you with your civic integration. You can contact the municipality for questions and information. For this you need to make an appointment.

You live abroad

Have you applied for a residence permit? In that case, you need to sit the civic integration exam in your current country of residence. Passed the exam? In that case, you can come to the Netherlands. Please contact the Dutch embassy about this.

You must pay for the integration course and the exam yourself. Please visit Inburgeren.nlexterne-link-icoon(externe link) for information about the costs.
Unable to afford the course and exam? You can borrow money from DUOexterne-link-icoon.

For all questions about civic integration, please contact DUOexterne-link-icoon.

Chat met een medewerker